Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Little Red

The Red is gone. 

I packed up the holiday paraphernalia yesterday and the house is looking mighty bland. It's fine, of course. It's wearing the outfit I had chosen for everyday living. Soft greens, warm browns, golden yellows. Nothing too jumpy or splashy or flashy. Just calm, neutral, down-to-business colors.

And I find myself feeling like my house.

The bright crimson of Christmas had me in the mood to throw parties, cook fancy meals, crank up the tunes and sing out loud. The subdued hues of everyday remind me that Regular Life isn't as exciting as The Holidays, but it's also a lot less exhausting. 

I love Party Mode. Who doesn't? But after more than a month of that, I'm happy to get back in my sweats, curl up in my cushy chair in the living room, and enjoy some peace and quiet. Which is what I am doing right now. Hubby is out running an errand. Kid 1 is in the basement playing video games. Kid 2 is in the family room doing homework and watching football and basketball. Kid 3 is upstairs reading. Ah, serenity.

But as I settled in moments ago, I caught - out of the corner of my eye - a tiny flash of red. Up high. In a place I hadn't looked as I was packing. Sitting on top of the grandfather clock is an elf. Just a little guy. But in this world of sage and cream and tan and bland, he (in his festive attire) reminds me that I need to keep a little Red in my life. A little splash. A little flash. 

And I've decided to leave him up there during these bleak mid-winter months. So I don't forget to connect with dear friends, try a new recipe, and sing out loud every once in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment