Friday, January 18, 2013

The Unbuyables

"Uh, yes, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel."

A vowel? Unless you live in the magical world of "The Wheel," money can't actually purchase a letter of the alphabet. And throughout history it's been generally understood that money can't buy beauty, happiness, love or time, either. (Though, admittedly, there are those who will argue that it can -- if you have enough of it -- get you a nose-job, your own tropical island, a "companion," and early retirement. Which is almost the same thing, right?)

Over the past few days, I've been thinking a lot about the Unbuyables. The things we wish we could pick up at the store or order from Amazon but can't. And, no, I'm not talking about big-ticket items like world peace or healing for the sick. Those are miracles. Same supplier, I guess, but different division.

I was actually thinking more of the kind of stuff you'd find in some freakishly-wonderful "Personal Care" aisle. Stuff that you have an actual need for. Stuff you can really use. And I started wondering what people would buy, if they could, and how they would use it.

Patience is something a harried dad might pick up to help him deal with an unruly toddler. Self-confidence might be just the thing for a woman on her way to a job interview. Wisdom would come in handy for someone wrestling with a tough decision. And luck and skill, in a combo-pack, would be way better than Gatorade and energy bars for a high school athlete headed to a game. Hopefully, if someone purchased a little bit of love or happiness, they would share it. But what would a person do with beauty?

So, what Unbuyable would you buy? And what would you do with it?

Today, I think I would pick up a few extra hours. Because I could really use a nap.

1 comment:

  1. I would buy a little bit of grace with which to let my daughter head off to college. The nap ain't a bad idea, though.

    ReplyDelete